Unclaimed Property

Unclaimed Property

Claiming Your Property

Filing a Claim
If you are claiming property in the possession of the state, you must complete and sign a claim form and forward it, together with the supporting documentation discussed below, to the Unclaimed Property Unit at the address shown on the front of the claim form.

Supporting Documentation

All claimants must establish (1) their personal identity and (2) entitlement to the property sought.

  1. You must submit two forms of personal identification, one of which must show your social security number.

    If the claim is being filed by a party acting as a guardian, executor, administrator or in some other representative capacity, the appropriate documentation demonstrating entitlement to make the claim in that capacity must also be enclosed.
  2. Entitlement to the property sought must be established by the following types of documentation:
  1. BANK ACCOUNT - A passbook, bank statement, or cancelled check.
  2. DIVIDEND - Proof of affiliation with company.
  3. STOCK - The original stock certificate.
  4. INSURANCE PROCEEDS - Insurance policy or statement.
  5. UNCASHED INSTRUMENTS - Original certified check, money order, travelers check or other negotiable instrument.
  6. UNCASHED WAGES - Proof of employment.

In the absence of any of the foregoing evidence and for claims of other types of property, you should submit the best evidence of ownership available.

If an account was originally opened jointly with the names connected by "and" (John and Mary Doe), both parties must make claim for the funds.  If one of the two parties is deceased, attach a copy of the appropriate death certificate.

Claim processing time can vary, please allow a minimum of eight weeks for processing.